Monday 10 March 2008

Sketchbook: Crufts

The annual dog-show Crufts was on TV last night. I don't have a pet nor have I ever had a dog, but I love this show. I'm amazed at the variety of breeds you see and how a single species is represented through such an array of sizes, shapes, and colour. It's a great resource for character designers; a prime example of the endless variations in shape combinations when creating an appealing, visually pleasing design based around a single theme.

Watching the people obsessed with their pets and this event is entertaining on a whole other level. Anyway, other than Ramsay's Kitchen Knightmares this is the only "reality" tv show I have time for, mainly because it's such a good excuse to sketch:

Crufts08-07
Crufts08-11
Crufts08-08
Crufts08-05
The dogs don't stand still for very long, so all these sketches were done in less than 20 seconds each, if that. I used charcoal pencil on textured cartridge paper.
Crufts08-06
Crufts08-12
I'm not trying to produce clean designs here. I'm just doing really quick studies of the dogs that appear on screen for however many seconds, trying to observe and capture a pose, gesture or action before it cuts to the next dog.
Crufts08-10
Crufts08-04
Crufts08-03
Crufts08-02
And in the process of doing that, I inadvertently learn a little more about shape and construction in character design.
Crufts08-01

No comments:

Post a Comment