Monday 31 March 2008

"cut a deal" stepped to spline


(VIEW A LARGER VERSION)

Computers make the worst inbetweeners. Despite having the final blocking pass mostly on 4's and 6's, as soon as I converted the shot from stepped mode to spline in the graph editor, it all turned to mush. I lost all the implied snappyness to the characters.

This is typical of the computer, always favouring an even interpolation between keys. I thought having pretty detailed breakdowns and ease ins/outs in my blocking pass would help preserve more of the snappyness I'd planned so far, but no such luck. The CG technique really makes you work extra hard to make animation look anything remotely close to appealing.

Granted all I've done here is literally switch the graph editor from "stepped" to "spline", so I shouldn't really expect much, ever.

Still, it's a starting point nonetheless. For those reading who aren't up on the animation jargon - just know I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get this to look nice.

Hopefully more to show later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment