Friday 11 January 2013

Life Drawing: observing and sketching

LifeDrawing_2013-01-07_03

A sketch of a seated pose. I think the pose lasted about 15 - 20 mins and I probably spent the first 5 walking around the model just observing. I don't always do this - sometimes I spontaneously respond to the pose as soon as the model settles and then build the drawing up instinctively with relatively little conflict. There are other times, like here, where I've needed to spend time up front trying to understand the main forms, note where the weight was, find the line of action running through the pose and finally decide which angle to draw from - observe for several minutes - before making any marks at all. To be honest, even drawings that start spontaneously are ultimately shaped with these same observations, albeit on a semi-conscious level.

No comments:

Post a Comment