Tuesday 11 November 2008

Life Drawing - Winter pt. 5

Sorry for the lack of blog posts. Work's been busy, but fortunately I managed to make it to life drawing class last night. I'm really enjoying these sessions, most evenings involve a variety of drawing exercises, for example:

Drawing from touch
LifeDrawing101108_03
This object was handed to me behind my back. I drew it without actually looking at it, but by holding it in my left hand (behind my back). Really interesting was to draw, I found I complete abandon any preconceieved ideas on what it should look like and just tried to translate what it felt like.

Drawing from an extreme view
LifeDrawing101108_04
The model was high up on a plinth and I drew him from the base looking up. It was a pretty distorted angle that I didn't quite capture accurately on a technical level, but I reckon I've managed to show how far out of my comfort zone this exercise had me.

Drawing with my other hand:
LifeDrawing101108_05

Drawing closer to the model than I normally do:
LifeDrawing101108_02
Up until last night I've mostly drawn from a couple of metres or more away from the model. Don't aks me why, that's just always been the case somehow. But last night we were asked to get closer. I drew from a little less than a metre away, and suddenly I became so aware of the surfaces - much more than before. I also found I thought of the model's body less in terms of a preconceived idea for "leg", "torso" "hand" and instead paid attention to the specific model and setup I was studying.

Drawing closer still:
LifeDrawing101108_01
For this final pose I sat less than 12 inches from the model and really got into the surfaces and planes locked together in the pose.

Another thoroughly enjoyable, inspiring and mind-expanding session. Can't wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment